Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  June 20, 2012 1:00am-2:00am EDT

1:00 am
where the economy is concerned, this summit could have a serious impact on jobs. here's some of what the president said tonight about the economy, about syria and political sniepg from the romney campaign. >> markets around the world have been asking if we're ready to do what is necessary to hold together. european leaders here in cabos had made it clear that they understand the stakes and pledge to take the actions needed to restore confidence, stability and growth. let me be a little more specific. first our friends in europe clearly grasp the seriousness of the situation and are moving forward with a heightened sense of urgency. he welcome the important steps that they have already taken to promote growth, fast kill
1:01 am
responsibility fblt generally wary of commenting on what it considers to be the internal affairs of other countries, are and have been more resistant to applying the kind of pressure that's necessary to achieve that political transition. we had a very candid conversation. i wouldn't suggest that at this point the united states and the rest of the international community are aligned with russia and china in their positions. but i do think they recognize the grave dangers of all-out civil war. i do not think they condone the massacres that we've witnessed. and i think they believe that everybody would be better served if syria had a mechanism for
1:02 am
ceasing the violence and creating a legitimate government. i would point out that we have one president at a time and one administration at a time. and i think traditionally, the notion has been that america's political differences and at the water's edge. i would also suggest that he may not be familiar with what our suggestions to the germans have been. and i think sometimes back home, there's a desire to super impose whatever ideological arguments are taking place back home on to a very complicated situation. >> some of president obama's comment tonight. democratic strategist paul begala currently advising the
1:03 am
top superer pac. foreign affairs correspondent jill dougherty ali velshi and john king joining us. >> the president's trying to talk a good game. >> so returns in this country want a piece of the austerity pie, they want to cut spending and lower taxes. the democrats want to increase spending or keep spending high, possibly a stimulus and raise taxes. both sides are wrong. the deficit hocks need to leave the discussion now and those who think this is time to raise taxes need to step out of the debate. it is clear that those pullbacks are not working across europe at the same time we need a plan so we don't have an endless debt hole.
1:04 am
one of the things ari and i will agree on is that summits like this are generally speaking uninspiring and lack originality. what i was hoping for was a show of unity, as you heard the president say you didn't get that with russia and china regarding syria and you didn't get it with europe with respect to dealing with their problems. so in the end this g-20 didn't give ugs what we needed and you'll see a reaction probably around the world tomorrow. >> ari, what did you hear on the money front? >> well i think when you look at europe there is no solution in site. it doesn't come down to what the g 20 decides, it comes to who not greece will be able to pay back its loans. and if they will renegotiate the terms that they previously made loans by. i think it's going to end in bankruptcy for greece. when the president says progress was made, i don't know that anybody knows what they need to do because i don't think what
1:05 am
they know. in terms of what ali is saying, i think the real issue can they take any short term step keeping their eye on the long-term ball which is when a national that is so deeply in debt, if we don't tackle the debt issue, we will become like greece. we have a $16 trillion debt right now. under the next ten years, it's projected to go up to 25 trillion. we can afford that. >> we can afford it because we have 1.5% interest rates. nobody in the world can borrow money cheaply as the united states can. >> paul, how much of a concern for you, events may have an impact on the campaign here. >> it's a big concern. i bet the romney campaign is just as nervous. if america goes into a recovery, if europe somehow pulls back and america really starts to grow, that's the end of the campaign for mitt romney as well.
1:06 am
so both sides have a whole lot of their fate out of their hands. and i think that mr. romney has got a real challenge, he likes to go out on the campaign trail and say that obama wants to emulate europe. but now it is the europeans in dublin, in london, in berlin who have imposed austerity and forced their economies into recession. austerity has failed in europe. it's going to fail in america. we have lost 600,000 public sector workers even as the private sector has had a little bit of growth. i think mitt romney has the wrong side of it when he goes out and says we don't need more teachers, cops and firefighters as he did a week ago. >> john what came out for you? >> well politicians learn from the last election.
1:07 am
if you look at the wisconsin recall, the governor who imposed austerity got re-elected. two cities in california, so the voters as they did in 2010 are still backing less spending 57bd more austerity at the moment. i think what you saw today in anderson was both sides of the incouple benscy coin. it was the rose garden strategy. you can drive the debate and get a lot of attention the incumbent president and any challenger. however, the flip side of the coin is you have to deal with current events. and as paul just noted, both on syria and on the economy, there are things happening around the world that the president of the united states cannot control. the european crisis, even if they get it perfect, is going to take months. syria, china and russia, they control the keys to the gate right now, in stronger international response, they won't open that gate. the president of the united states has less than 140 days to
1:08 am
an election and he can't control the biggest national security challenge on the global stage at the moment and the biggest challenge overall number one the economy. >> let me just finish off on syria. jill, i mean, clearly it seems like there's no movement and no agreement between russia and the united states here. >> no question. and i think, you know, it was a pretty honest assessment by president obama that china and russia are simply not on board. and you look at this, listen to what putin is saying. he's saying nobody outside can define who stays as president and who goes. so what putin's answer is, let the people of syria decide. but the problem is, the people of syria are involved in a civil war. so right now, you have that disagreement between obama and putin on a crucial issue. putin has not love loss for assad either.
1:09 am
>> that russia is taking hands off policy is incorrect. we've got to leave you there. thank you. let us know what you think. we're on facebook, follow me on twitter. we'll be tweeting over this hour. up next, breaking news, ekwipt' former dictator near death ahead. tdd# 1-800-345-2550 let's talk about the personal attention tdd# 1-800-345-2550 you and your money deserve. tdd# 1-800-345-2550 at charles schwab, that means taking a close look at you tdd# 1-800-345-2550 as well as your portfolio. tdd# 1-800-345-2550 we ask the right questions, tdd# 1-800-345-2550 then we actually listen to the answers tdd# 1-800-345-2550 before giving you practical ideas you can act on. tdd# 1-800-345-2550 so talk to chuck online, on the phone,
1:10 am
tdd# 1-800-345-2550 or come in and pull up a chair. but they can also hold you back. unless you ask, "what's next?" introducing the all-new rx f sport. this is the pursuit of perfection.
1:11 am
introducing the all-new rx f sport. ♪... ♪... ♪... choose the perfect hotel are choosing advil®. here's one story. i'm keith baraka and i'm a fire fighter. it's an honor to be a fire fighter.
1:12 am
my job involves life or death situations and it's very physically demanding. if i'm sore, i have a headache, i'm not at my best. advil® is my go to. it's my number one pain reliever. advil® just works for me. [ male announcer ] make the switch. take action. take advil®. and if pain keeps you up, sleep better with advil pm®. ♪ [ male announcer ] some mechanics are just determined to find something to repair. ♪ but unlike those guys, we don't fix vehicles. we help keep them running right. at jiffy lube®, we offer preventive maintenance and the advanced technology of pennzoil® motor oil. to help you leave repair shop worries behind. jiffy lube. leave worry behind. drive in and ask for pennzoil today.
1:13 am
stroke and being declared clinically dead. the lawyer says he's in a coma and the military says his condition is critical but he's still alive. the confusion comes at a volatile time. look at tahrir square night. thousands of egyptians turned out what they call a coup. they issued a constitutional decree yesterday giving themselves sweeping powers, stripping the presidency of its powers. joining me now is ben weed man live in cairo. so ben, what's the latest right now on mubarak's health?
1:14 am
what do we know? >> well, actually we don't know very much. we've got two different narratives. one coming from the official middle east news agency several hours ago saying that former president mubarak was clinically dead. his lawyer says he's in a coma, he had to be resuscitated several times but he insists that he is not dead. we've been waiting for quite some time for a statement to come out of the supreme council of the armed forces, which will hopefully clarify this situation. but this is just one point of lack of clarity that we have. we have two presidential nominees or candidates who both insist they won in the recent elections. we have a parliament that's been dissolved but insists that it's still sitting. so these mubarak reports are just one tip of the iceberg of
1:15 am
confusion that seems to be floating in the nile right now. >> i want to talk about that more, sanjay, his lawyer is saying he's not dead, he's hat water in the lungs for ten days, his blood pressure is done and that obstructed his breathing and that forces his doctors to put him on a respirator, does that make any sense to you? >> well, he's obviously an elderly person who has a history of heart disease and cancer. water on the lungs, the pneumonia that has progressed, may have even gotten into his blood stream and when that happens, someone's blood pressure can fall quickly. and that can lead to hard problems becoming even worse. so that part of it makes sense. i think the confusion, and this the confusing thing even in hospitals here in the states.
1:16 am
clinically dead i think what the person meant to say was brain dead and someone's hard can still be functioning but their brain is no longer. and brain death versus coma, is the distinction. brain death is something that's irreversible. that's not someone something is going to recover from. where as a coma, someone could possibly recover from that. so that's just piecing together all these various and sometimes conflicting reports. >> so, does it matter whether mubarak lives or dies in the next day or so, in terms of what happens in egypt now? >> well, i think that's the absolutely important and very unsentimental question, what the hell does it matter? you have an 84-year-old man, a man who's ruled for 307 years, he's dead, he's not dead, i'm reminded of the remark that
1:17 am
arabs make they say is he dead and buried or just dead. i think the whole saga of mubarak is a side show of a side show. and mubarak and the remnants of the regime around him have been clever. what they've done is they have basically put out these stories about the health of this ruler and they have done their best to move this man from prison where he was sent right after his trial when he was sentenced to life in prison and they returned him to the hospital. this is really what the game is about as far as i can see. >> so fouad in terms of the back story to what the military has done, has there been for all intents and purposes a coup? >> i think there is some element of truth in this. you have this presidential election, because of the peculiar nature of the way the votes were cast, you end up with a man from the old regime, you
1:18 am
end up with mubarak's last prime minister and you end up with a man from the muslim brotherhood. each one is claiming victory. if the numbers could be trusted, and whoever is president will come into a hollowed-out presidency because -- what's interesting about egypt today is the fact that no one is really stepping forward with a keen desire to rule. the arm i doesn't want to rule because they know the country is in deep distress. the muslim brotherhood doesn't want to fully rule. so you have this chaos that follows more than 60 years of dictate orship. >> ben, you live there. what do you see happening?
1:19 am
is there now a show down between the muslim brotherhood and the military? what does the next week hold? >> well, certainly what we saw today was thousands, tens of thousands of muslim brotherhood shoerters and others flocking to tahrir square to protest. the muslim brother hood probably wants to push this a little bit further to put more pressure on the supreme council of the armed forces. but what they clearly don't want is a direct confrontation, because obviously the military far outguns the brotherhood. and when push comes to shove many egyptians probably would support the military against the brotherhood which is an organization that has sort of p -- pushing for concessions for the military but not ready for a
1:20 am
show down. >> thank you. back home, crucial testimony today in the sandusky trial. his lawyer still won't say weather sandusky himself would take the stand. but his wife did take the stand, and what she said we'll have that when we continue. you know what's exciting? graduation. when i look up into my students faces, i see pride.
1:21 am
you know, i have done something worthwhile. when i earned my doctorate through university of phoenix, that pride, that was on my face. i am jocelyn taylor. i'm committed to making a difference in people's lives, and i am a phoenix. visit phoenix.edu to find the program that's right for you. enroll now. ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] we believe you're at your best when you can relax and be yourself. and at thousands of newly refreshed holiday inn hotels, you always can.
1:22 am
holiday inn. stay you. and now stay rewarded with vacation pay. stay two weekend nights and get a $75 prepaid card. the twield fire is about half contained. will firefighters finally get cooperation from the wea p. pinch... and zoom... in your car.
1:23 am
introducing the all-new cadillac xts with cue. ♪ don't worry. we haven't forgotten, you still like things to push. [ engine revs ] the all-new cadillac xts has arrived, and it's bringing the future forward.
1:24 am
hundreds of firefighters cannot seem to catch a break from the weather. high temperatures, gusty winds have impeded the fight against the fire which has almost consumed about 60,000 acres. immediate roll gist chad myers has an update now.
1:25 am
>> it was a crazy day with winds today, not because they were so gusty, but because they changed direction. for most of the morning the area under concern there was in a southwest flow before you got to the cold front which turned winds to the north. all of a sudden he this think they're fighting a fire one way and then the winds shift and the fire is coming back out them. those are dangerous conditions with wind shift because of a cold front or warm front or any reason. almost 60,000 acres burned, 189 homes destroyed now. it's half contained. but that's what it looks like sometimes. and i know if you're on the east coast, you may not be able to picture this. but this is an amazing shot of what sun set looked like this. and it's getting better but not fast enough. i know we're talking about colorado, but this is going to be a long season for fires because the entire south western
1:26 am
part of the country is in a drought. and fires are going to continue all summer long. this could be a very bad fire season. anderson? >> thanks very much. >> word tonight that about 300 united nations monitors will stay in syria for now, due to the violence there. an opposition group says at lease 31 people were killed today. a texas grand jury has refused to indict a father. the incident happened earlier this month. the southern baptist convention has elected its first black president, he will preside over the 16 million member organization. and triple crown winner secretaryiat. the maryland racing commission
1:27 am
yunsly agreed that evidence showed that the praekness time was faster than originally recorded. the new time is two seconds quicker than originally recorded. jerry sandusky's wife took the stand. ude you don't underst, this is my dad's car. look at the car! my dad's gonna kill me dude... [ male announcer ] the security of a 2012 iihs top safety pick. the volkswagen passat. that's the power of german engineering. right now lease the 2012 passat for $209 a month. visit vwdealer.com today. >> announcer: this is the day. the day that we say to the world of identity thieves "enough."
1:28 am
we're lifelock, and we believe you have the right to live free from the fear of identity theft. our pledge to you? as long as there are identity thieves, we'll be there. we're lifelock. and we offer the most comprehensive identity theft protection ever created. lifelock: relentlessly protecting your identity. call 1-800-lifelock or go to lifelock.com today. it's very important to understand how math and science kind of makes the world work. in high school, i had a physics teacher by the name of mr. davies. he made physics more than theoretical, he made it real for me. we built a guitar, we did things with electronics and mother boards. that's where the interest in engineering came from. so now, as an engineer, i have a career that speaks to that passion. thank you, mr. davies.
1:29 am
julian assange is asking for political asylum and fighting against getting sent to sweden. ♪ it was the best day ♪ it was the best day ♪ ♪ it was the best day ♪ 'cause of you we make a great pair. huh? progressive and the great outdoors! we make a great pair.
1:30 am
right, totally. that's what i was thinking. all kinds of vehicles, all kinds of savings. multi-policy discounts from progressive. call or click today.
1:31 am
welcome back. for a second straight day, jerry sandusky's lawyers tried to portray him as a normal good hearted generous person, not a sexual predator. the defense is trying to counter the graphic testimony eight alleged victims game last week in the child rape trial. former penn state assistant football coach is charged, as you know with sexually abusing ten boys over a 15-year period. today, his lawyers questioned the techniques of police investigators who interviewed the accusers. they also called a psychologist
1:32 am
to the stand along with character witnesses, friends and former colleagues of sandusky. crucial testimony came from sandusky's wife of more than 40 years, dottie. jason carroll was in the courtroom today. he joined me now. jason, the most anticipated defense witness besides jerry has no doubt been dottie sandusky. she took the stand. she said she never saw any inappropriate contact between her husband and those young boy, correct? that is correct. she also contradicted the testimony of two of the accusers, number four and number nine. number four you'll remember, says jerry sandusky took him to the alamo bowl in 1999 and tried to sexually assault him in a motel room when dottie walked in and said "what's going on." she also said she said "what's going on" because jerry sandusky was angry because this young boy refused to go to a luncheon, an expensive luncheon that they had paid for. accuser number nine, he was the
1:33 am
one who testified who said he had been down in the basement of sandusky's home and screamed repeatedly for help. dottie was asked about that by joe amendola, defense attorney. who said, quote if something happened in your basement, could you hear it? she answered, i think so, yes. then he asked did you ever hear someone yelling for help while he was staying there? her answer, no. is her also said, anderson, that her husband had no inappropriate contact with any young boys. >> what did we hear from experts about this historionic personality disorder? the defense is saying -- explains some of those letters he wrote to one of the accusers. >> right, we're hearing a lot more about this histrionic personality disorder. basically this is a disorder according to some of the doctors who testified. it's basically a disorder where you have to be the center of attention. you cannot be on the sidelines. when that happens, you act in inappropriate ways.
1:34 am
some of the things they brought up, you have to have assistance, approval, respect, admiration and intimacy. basically, the prosecution, you know, got up there and basically said there's no way jerry sandusky could not be the center of attention. throughout his entire career, he was an assistant football coach. how then could he suffer from this disorder? you could see both sides going back and forth on this issue throughout the court proceeding. >> dueling experts. one of the witnesses called today was a close friend, she says she's known them for 40 years, and believes without question jerry sandusky is innocent. i talked to her earlier. joyce, you've called jerry sandusky a saint. why are you so convinced that he's innocent? >> i've known him for 40 years. i think he's a wonderful man. he's been very good to people in my family. i've had one son with down syndrome who jerry and dottie
1:35 am
would take for dinner, take out of town for football games. i've had another son that went to his football camp. he's written to him when he's had some troubles in life. jerry's a wonderful man. >> there's at least ten alleged victims right now. ten accusers of sandusky's sexual abuse. eight of whom have testified in the trial. do you believe they're all lying? >> well, i believe in jerry and i believe in the thousands of live he's already touched who have been bettered by his relationship with them. and when you count thousands, plus knowing him for 40 years -- >> so why do you think these eight have testified? >> you know, you'd have to ask them. >> but, i mean, you must think that they're not telling the truth. >> yes, i must think that. >> do you believe they're in it for money? the defense attorney has
1:36 am
indicated that, you know, maybe they're in it for some sort of financial settlement down the road. >> well, i think they come from poor backgrounds and i think money would be a big motivator for them. most of them have already gotten attorneys who aren't charging them anything. >> there's also eyewitness testimony from mike mcqueary, another coach who says he saw jerry sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in the locker room shower at night. and mcqueary, as far as i can tell, has nothing to gain momentarily from coming forward. in fact, he's been placed on administration leave from the coaching job at penn state since all this happened. why do you think he's testified that? >> well, his testimony has been different to different people. and i think that he didn't say it was -- he's changed his story on whether it was really sexual or who knew what it was. and as far as i know, he's on paid because he's a whistle
1:37 am
blower and now he's suing penn state so he's out to make even more money. >> what mike mcqueary says he saw, though, he heard rhythmic slapping and he saw sandusky naked in the shower with this little boy standing behind him late at night in a shower. is there any explanation for -- in your mind, why jerry sandusky would be naked showering with a little boy and soaped up with a little boy? >> i think a lot of guys are working out. they were playing basketball. then they go take a shower. where is this little boy that mike mcqueary supposedly saw? why hasn't he come forward? if there's even a witness to say this happened? >> so you see no possible reasons why somebody doesn't come forward and talk about sexual abuse that occurred to them as a child? >> i don't know. >> you say people take showers with each other all the time. i mean, i was on a team in college.
1:38 am
i've talked to many coaches. i've never heard of coaches showering with little boys, let alone players on their team. but little boys late at night in a coach's shower. >> well, you weren't here for court yesterday when two coaches said yes, they take showers with boys. and you go to the ymca. i go in a locker room after swimming. there's all ages of women naked in the locker room there taking showers so what's the difference? >> a grown man soaping up a little boy late at night alone in a shower. that doesn't seem unusual? >> no. he was like a father figure to a lot of these kids. you know, he'd help them take a shower. who knows how old this boy was? >> well, do you think a 12-year-old, a 13-year-old, you think they need help taking showers? >> well, mike mcqueary said he was anywhere from 8 to 12. so he could have been 8.
1:39 am
>> well, that's joyce porter who testified today and stands by jerry sandusky no matter what, as you will -- as you hear. you'll hear more of my interview with joyce porter tomorrow night. the defense expects to rest its case tomorrow. joining me now is marcia clark. mark, how important is somebody like joyce porter? she only saw him a couple of times each year. last time we talked about building blocks to reasonable doubt and that's what the defense is trying to present. is that just her purpose? >> absolutely her purpose and i think she demonstrates exactly what the defense wants to show here. look, here's somebody who has known him for 40 years, who comes from that community, who thinks he does great work.
1:40 am
she basically, no matter what you asked her, she wasn't having any of it. and that's exactly what the defense is hoping that she resonates with one of the jurors. >> marcia do you think she resonates with jurors? >> i doubt it. i think the jurors are going to be aware of the fact that this is anything but a neutral witness. she's very biassed. she's very much in sandusky's camp, who feels beholden to him. if any of the jurors who are paying attention are probably wondering what happened with her son that she's not aware of. >> what kind of impact do you think dot sandusky add had on the stand today. >> everybody has said it wasn't that memorable of a witness and i think they miss exactly what the defense was doing. they were laying out basically timeline things, things that she was there, that she didn't hear anything, that nobody said
1:41 am
anything. she made certain comments about certain of the complaining witnesses that i think are going to be woven into the closing argument. i think she was a significant witness and i think you're going to hear about her and the discrepancy she's pointing out in the prosecution case by proxy, so to speak, in the closing argument. >> is it common that, you know, victims or alleged victims of a sexual crime, that they might change their stories? >> absolutely. anderson, this happens all the time, especially with child molest victims. they start out not admitting anything because it's difficult for them to confront what they've been through. i think they respect is necessary to help them understand it's not their fault. but they have to get over that in order to get the final statement that has all of the details in it and that takes some time and yes that does create inconsist event
1:42 am
statements as you go forward. but it does not show anything bad about their credibility at all. >> mark, that's a sympathetic way of looking at it. the defense will just say, look, they're changing their stories and that might bring up some credibility issues. >> well, yeah. marcia argues this like the good prosecutor that she is, the only problem is that the jury is going to be instructed that you look at those inconsistencies if they're on material points, then the jury is instructed to disregard the testimony. when they're on major points and in a lot of these cases they are. the jury is going to get the law, they're instructed that they took an oath and to follow the law and the law is you can disregard in its entirety the witness's testimony. i'm not so sure as marcia that is is going to be a slam dunk for the prosecution.
1:43 am
>> it has to be a witness who is willfully false in a material part of the testimony in order for the jury instruction to allow them to dismiss their testimony entirely and i'm not seeing that kind of willfully false material misstatement by any of these witnesses. >> when a witness says before nothing happened or a witness says it happened on such and such a date and they know it couldn't have happened on that date, it doesn't get much more material or willful. >> i disagree. i disagree. a young boy 12 years old doesn't remember exactly what date he was sodomized? i think i understand why he might have trouble remembering that. >> somebody is talking about when you're interviewed before and you said nothing happened and now you say something happened, that is material. that is willful. >> that can be material, you know what, but looking at the way these witnesses -- >> it's the definition of material.
1:44 am
>> these witnesses were trauma tiezed, and it's going to be up to the jury to evaluate their demeanor. >> your whole argument, all the way the prism through which you look at this says they were trauma tiezed. you assume that it happened. >> i don't assume it happened. i don't assume anything. i listened to the witness's testimony. >> marcia, if they're trauma tiezed, you're assuming that it happened. but if you're saying they are traumatized, you assume it happened. jurors are not instructed to assume that it happened. jurors are instruct tod presume innocence. so don't mislead the public as to what the standard is. >> obviously mark. >> i would never mislead the public. obviously they're not required to assume anything. they're required not to assume. and i've never said otherwise. they are required however to listen to the testimony and
1:45 am
determine whether or not the truth of the charges has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. and in doing that, they look 59 a witness's demeanor, it's not just the words, it's how they say them. a jury can sit there and watch a young man say i was afraid to say, i didn't want to say, i didn't want to admit but then finally i realized i had to tell the truth and they can look at that and say that to me is not a material inconsistency or a willfully false statement. >> thank you both, guys. former rutgers university with the spark cash card from capital one,
1:46 am
sven's home security gets the most rewards of any small business credit card! how does this thing work? oh, i like it! [ garth ] sven's small business earns 2% cash back on every purchase, every day! woo-hoo!!! so that's ten security gators, right? put them on my spark card! why settle for less? testing hot tar... great businesses deserve the most rewards! [ male announcer ] the spark business card from capital one. choose unlimited rewards with 2% cash back or double miles on every purchase, every day! what's in your wallet? here's your invoice.
1:47 am
1:48 am
♪ [ male announcer ] with 50 horsepower, dual overhead cams and fierce acceleration, the gator xuv 825i will shatter your expectations. ♪ and so no one gets left behind, check out our affordable xuv 550s at johndeere.com/gator.
1:49 am
♪ wikileaks founder julian assange is at the ecuadorian embassy seeking asylum. he's fighting extradition to sweden for questioning in a sex abuse case. he's been under house arrest in britain for a year and a half. dharun ravi is out of prison tonight. the former rutgers university student convicted of spying on and intimidating his gay roommate served 20 days of a 30 day sentence. the early release was granted for good behavior and work credit. his former roommate, tyler clementi, killed himself by jumping off new york's george washington bridge. michael phelps could be seeking a new record at the summer olympics. he's participating in ten races at the olympic trials next week in nebraska. if he qualifies for all of them,
1:50 am
he may take home ten medals this summer. phelps earned eight gold medals at the 2008 beijing games. mr. rogers, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood for an auto tune remix for his old garden of your mind message with a new beat. i love this. >> cassette player with a cassette here, there's nothing written on it. so we'll just have to play it to see what it is. >> ♪ do you ever imagine, are they scary things ♪ do you ever imagine things did you ever see a cat's eyes in the dark? er what they were. >> i've watched this so much times, i think it's a good turn. the mash up tribute was requested by pbs digital studios. it's really well done.
1:51 am
>> before i say this and people send me hate mail, i don't get this. it sounds a little creepy to me. i'm just throwing it out there. >> what? >> i know, i know folks in america, i'm sure i've committed some sword of faux pa. it's a little creepy. >> do you know who mr. rogers is? >> yes, i have been schooled by many an individual. it's creepy. >> are you calling mr. rogers creepy? >> i wouldn't go that far. >> are you going to go that far? >> i don't want to be inundated with hate mail. i'm not going all the way. >> you're saying your auto tuning of him is creepy. >> just a little bit. >> you watch what you say right now. what you say right now may just determine the course of your career. so what was that? >> nothing. just, a little creepy.
1:52 am
good night. >> you cannot say anything against mr. rogers. i love that auto tune. i think it's kind of a cool -- you should listen to the whole thing. >> you thought it was a cool jam. give me a break. >> what do you have in england? mike miss whim sy and the tea cup control. >> he used to take his head off. >> you and piers morgan, i tell you. >> you can go now. >> yeah, you can go now >> it's why don't people understand me in this country. >> wuzzel gummage. i give up. >> isha, thank you.
1:53 am
if you're on the fence whether to go vegan or not, something happened today that will definitely convince you. [ slap! slap! ] [ male announcer ] your favorite foods fighting you? fight back fast with tums. calcium rich tums goes to work in seconds. nothing works faster. ♪ tum tum tum tum tums in your car. now count the number of buttons on your tablet. isn't it time the automobile advanced? introducing cue in the all-new cadillac xts. the simplicity of a tablet has come to your car. ♪ the all-new cadillac xts has arrived. and it's bringing the future forward.
1:54 am
focus lolo, focust sanya let's do this i am from baltimore south carolina... bloomington, california... austin, texas... we are all here to represent the country we love this is for everyone back home it's go time. across america, we're all committed to team usa. [ male announcer ] some dealer mechanics are determined to find something to repair. ♪
1:55 am
but unlike those guys, we don't fix vehicles. we help keep them running right. at jiffy lube®, our highly trained technicians use the advanced technology of pennzoil® motor oil to help you leave dealer worries behind. jiffy lube®. leave worry behind. drive in and ask for pennzoil® today.
1:56 am
time now for the riduculist. tonight we're adding anyone who isn't a vegan. like many people i've revisited because i've been waiting for technology progress to the point where they create the vegan version of a big mac. there are good reasons to be vegans.
1:57 am
if you were looking for a sherpa to help you scale the mountain of veganism, these were your celebrities. out of the refrain, rising like a siren song from that celebrity voice, we can no longer pretend we don't have all the information we need to pull the vegan trigger. >> you're a vegan? >> yeah. >> what changed you. >> well, i need, i threw up the white flag. too many prison cells, too many lawsuits, too many bankruptcies, too many venereal diseases, everything. >> the reason why spike lee was sitting next to mike tyson is because he's directing his one-man show on broadway this summer. that's what surprised you,
1:58 am
right? the part about too many vern eerl diseases, that was clear as a bell. >> i really got tired, you know, every time my prostitute girlfriend came back from a trip and i had to sleep with her, i had to live a different life. >> you've made a conscious choice -- >> i'm sorry. i'm sorry. the prostitute hunter. >> i can't pretend i totally follow othe logic there, but i don't want to be on the bad side of a former heavy weight boxing champion. there's something about him i find that's really sympathetic. i've always felt he was taken advantage of by a lot of people around him so i hope those days are over. so i'm going to say yes, a resounding yes, let's all follow his example and go vegan, if not for the animals, for the prostitutes, i guess?
1:59 am

115 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on